Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Do everything without grumbling...


Paul tells the Philippians today in the first reading: "Do everything without grumbling or questioning...
As I reflected on this, I was struck by the fact that I often find myself grumbling; I hope it is just a passing interior grumble, but fear that it often has been exterior, too. Grumbling is not good! Neither interior or exterior grumbling is acceptable. How can we live in joy and gratitude and grumble? So away with all grumbling! Yesterday's Psalm had the line, "May your hearts be ever merry!" Merry people do not grumble!
In the Gospel today Jesus tells us "Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple." It is a very strong Gospel and Jesus says at the end that "every one of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple." Lord, help me to renounce all my grumbling and whatever I am clinging to still so that I may follow You in joy and gratitude!

No comments: