Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Giving thanks


Today is the feast of St. Josaphat, one saint that I knew nothing about except that he entered the Order of St. Basil and was ordained a priest in the Byzantine rite in 1609. It seems that he was named Archbishop of Polotsk, Russia, in 1617 and worked for the union of the Ukrainian Church with Rome. He was slain by opponents in 1623 and became the first Eastern saint to be formally canonized in 1867.

The Gospel message is really about giving thanks. Jesus cures 10 lepers. Only one comes back to thank Jesus. He was a Samaritan. Jesus asks, "Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?"
How often I am one of the others who do not return giving thanks to God. Everyday I receive countless gifts from God. How do I express my gratitude? The one leper "returned glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him."
May Jesus find me there at his feet each day thanking Him for his many gifts to me!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HELEN, This is a gratitude week for me, since on Sunday I celebrated 25 years of continuous sobriety. so this gospel speaks loudly to em and I try to remember every day to thank Our Lord for all the gifts He gives me. But this one is at the foundation of so many of them.
And you are also at the root of many of them too since oyu ahve been in my life in one way or another for so many years. Thank you!
My sister and I were in Cincinnati recently and went back to the old grounds of Clifton-so different; but we were able to place many areas where we had enjoyed our life there-one of them being the playground where I remember your presence so well! How grateful I ma for the eyars of safety there also.

Helen said...

I am grateful with you. I, too, remember Clifton with fond memories. We have been and are so gifted! I think we should all live in gratitude and keep thanking for the many gifts of each day. Thank you for your comment which has triggered many memories.Helen