Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mary, Mother and Model


I love the downcast eyes of the young Mary depicted above. It is the face of the original fresco on the wall at the Trinita in Rome. I did not plan to use this today, but it is Saturday and the suggested Mass is that of Our Lady. She plays such an important role in the life of all Catholics that I just want to honor her today in my blog. She is one who is always watching over us and pointing out what we need to her son, Jesus, as she did at the Wedding Feast when she told Jesus that "they have no wine." She also tells us, as she told the servants at the Feast, "Do whatsoever he tells you."

I have more to share from Dorothy Day's Diaries found in The Duty of Delight.
Dorothy wrote in 1957, "I must do much more in the way of voluntary poverty and manual labor for health of body and soul. Also not waste my time with idle reading. We have so much, we are so rich in interests, books, music, friends, ideas. God gives us such lights that it is a temptation to rest in them. 'One thing is necessary.'"

No comments: