Search This Blog

Friday, December 26, 2008

The day after Christmas


Today is the day after with all that means to so many of us - left over food; presents to thank for, people to call, or maybe we just take some time to be and think of what a difference it is for all of us that Jesus became fully human, like us in all things except sin.
I spent Christmas morning recalling the many graces of the year. I usually do this on New Year's Eve, but the house was quiet on Christmas morning and I just began by thinking of all that had passed during the year and started listing graces to thank for and found this to be very helpful so I pass it on to you.
On Christmas eve we had a lovely prayer service on the O Antiphons; I found the ones I wrote last year and wonder if I am brave enough to share them. Maybe I will one day this week or put on one a day. We will see if I have enough humility to share them.

I wish everyone a joyous Christmas season. The Lord told us that "As the Father loves me, so do I love you" and then Jesus tells us, "Remain in my love" and then he will also tell us that he told us this so that we can have his joy.

I should also mention that this is the feast of St. Stephan, the first martyr. We know from the Acts of the Apostles that Stephen is the first-named among the deacons chosen by the Apostles to minister to the Greek-speaking Christians in Jerusalem. He was stoned by a crowd who accused him of blasphemy for he was filled with the Holy Spirit and said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." Stephen is the patron saint of Deacons.

No comments: