Search This Blog

Saturday, December 20, 2008

O Key of David...


Today's antiphon has inspired many a reflection. It is: "O Key of David, opening the gates of God's eternal Kingdom: come and free the prisoners of darkness!" I am using the O Antiphons found in the Alleluia verse before the Gospel in each day's liturgy. I have used other translations in the past and that gives one a richness. This antiphon really inspired Joyce Rupp's latest book, The Open Door Some doors need to be opened with a key. Sometimes the key is in the lock; other times the key is hidden; our hearts need to be open to receive Jesus. What might have locked my heart?
I am going to copy the translation in my office book so you will see that the Liturgy has shortened and probably tried to simplify the O Antiphons;
"O Key of David, O royal Power of Israel controlling at your will the gate of heaven: come, break down the prison walls of death for those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death; and lead your captive people into freedom."
I guess I am fascinated by the different symbols that are "names" for Jesus who comes to break down the walls and free us.

No comments: