Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gaudete Sunday/Third Sunday of Advent


We break into joy as we reach the Third Sunday of Advent. The priest appears in rose colored vestments. The entrance antiphon is "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice! The Lord is near." That, of course, is the reason we are rejoicing - the Lord is near.
Isiah in the first reading says: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me...I rejoice heartily in the Lord, in my God is the joy of my soul..."

Then we have in the second reading from Paul: "Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit...Test everything...The one who calls you is faithful..."

Let us look at the joy in our own lives. Mother Stuart says that "Joy is the song of the spirit under the pressure of happiness." How am I cultivating joy? Gaudete, the Lord is near, rejoice!

One way to cultivate joy is to be aware of all we are given every day of our lives! Joy and gratitude go together. Have you ever seen an unhappy grateful person? So, in all circumstances give thanks!

No comments: