Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Experiencing God


I took a little book with me to California that I have found helpful so I am adding it to my list of books. It is by Thomas H. Green, S.J. whose books on prayer I loved. This one was published in 2010 after his death and is drawn from his lectures. The title is Experiencing God: The Three Stages of Prayer.

I will share a couple of thoughts with you today. Green says that we should try taking the first fifteen minutes of prayer just to be with the Lord; let God do whatever God wants during this time. If nothing happens, then we can begin to reflect or pick up Scripture. The idea is to give God the chance to take over and so we are just quietly waiting on God. I like this and think it works for me to quiet down and just be present. Then whatever happens comes from God. Try it and see if it is helpful.

Another thought that struck me is to ask God when preparing for the Sacrament of Reconciliation to tell me what He wants me to confess. I have done this. I think God then helps us to see ourselves as He sees us. If we listen to God, we may find that He knows us so much better than we know ourselves. Learning to listen is an important part of growth in prayer.

1 comment:

Alex Tang said...

I have the privilege of participating in a silent retreat directed by Thomas Green. Such a generous man. He allowed me to participate even when I am not a Catholic. I learnt alot about prayer from him.