Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

Martin Luther King

When I think of my childhood in St. Louis and the segregation that existed then, I feel we have come a long way, but there is still so much we need to do. Racism is still strong in the United States and we need to be aware of how we are discriminating against not only African Americans but also those of other nationalities. We do not pay a just wage to so many and that is not right. I hope that we make real efforts to improve our schools in the poorer neighborhoods as education seems to be the only way for many to climb out of poverty. I guess I feel strongly about the injustice that I see right here in my city.

We returned late last night from the Quad Area meeting in Grand Coteau. The Jesuit Spirituality Center has been modernized and was wonderful. We had single rooms with bathrooms, wonderful meals, and a huge meeting room with comfortable chairs. Of course, this all helped to make it a really good time for all, but it is the people who come and who are so open and who want to share what God is doing in their lives that really makes this such a grace-filled time. I enjoyed going to the cemetery at our convent and visiting with old friends there. The cemetery and the old cottage have been made over - no more crosses in the cemetery but a lovely engraved stone is now marking each of the graves that go back to the 1800s as Coteau was founded in 1821 and so many died at a young age then. It was a good visit and I loved being with so many Associates and also hearing what so many of my friends are doing.

No comments: