Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2014

The deep waters of God


My own Baptism was on the Feast of Saints Peter and Paul in the Church of St. Peter and Paul which was in Pinelawn, just outside of St. Louis, Missouri. It was 1931 and I, of course, remember nothing of the day. I was the first girl grandchild and know that my Dad's Mother and five sisters were there plus my Grandfather McLaughlin, and great aunts and uncles were no doubt around, too.
 I am still meditating on the Baptism of Jesus.

Here is some of the homily the Pope gave in honor of St. Peter Favre on January 3:

"An authentic faith always implies a deep desire to change the world. And this is the question we should pose ourselves: do we too have great visions and zeal? Are we bold too? ....Let us always remember that the strength of the Church does not reside in herself or in her organizational capacity, but is instead concealed in the deep waters of God. And these waters agitate our desires, and our desires expand our hearts. It is as St. Augustine said: pray to desire and desire to expand your heart. It was precisely in his desires that Favre was able to discern the voice of God. Without desires, one cannot go forth, and this is why we must offer our desires to the Lord."

I keep thinking of "the deep waters of God" - I am also so grateful for the water of Baptism1

No comments: