Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

"Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid."

When I was sent to Chile straight from Rome where I made my final profession, I often prayed over today's Gospel.  I did not know any Spanish. Mark tells us how Jesus fed the five thousand and then made his disciples get into the boat and go across the sea. The wind was against them and they were struggling and being tossed about while trying to row. Jesus saw this and, about the fourth watch of the night, he came to them. " but when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out."
Jesus at once spoke to them and told them, "take courage, it is I, do not be afraid."
How often Jesus says the same to each of us! He is with us and the "wind died down!"  So it is now for each of us. Jesus is with us and fills us with His peace and joy!

No comments: