Search This Blog

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time


This Sunday's Gospel reminds us to be hospitable, as does the first reading.
And whoever gives only a cup of cold water
to one of these little ones to drink
because the little one is a disciple—
amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward."


How often have we given a cup of cold water to someone? We have given more than that - our welcome, our smile, our love. But we might also ask ourselves how often have we been less than welcoming? Are there times when we have avoided one in need of a kind word or a service? I find it good to examine my lack of going out to others, my avoidance of someone, and I need to ask myself why. Is it laziness? Or is it "business"? Can you imagine Jesus being too busy to aid someone in need?
We have been so loved that we now are called to give that love to others. It may just be a kind word, or a card written to let them know they are in our thoughts and prayer. Let us, this week, try not to avoid anyone; on the contrary, let us see how many we find to serve. Jesus assures us that we will be rewarded. Hospitality is a gift we offer freely to all.


No comments: