Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Feast of St. John Bosco


When I was in seventh and eighth grade, some of us went to Camp Don Bosco in the summer. I began to have devotion to him as he had such a love of children. I read his life and have great admiration for him. He worked so hard, but never stopped praying. I guess he was an inspiration for me as a child and I wanted to help children.
He was an incredible priest. He never had any money but was able to collect, feed, educate hundreds of children even before he founded the his order. He began by seeing the need to get the boys off the streets. Then he began what today would call trade schools. When a little orphan, cold and hungry, appeared at his door one night, John Bosco began orphanages. 
Let us pray to him today for all the children who need out prayer.

We lost one of our Religious this morning and I had the joy of being with her when she went to God around 4:30 A.M.  I knew her 72 years ago as a young newly professed Religious at the Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles. She is the first Religious of the Sacred Heart that I spoke to about my vocation. Years later, I gave her two directed retreats. She was a wonderful friend and lived to be 101 years of age plus about five months, but she was ready to go to God. I am just happy that I had the gift of keeping vigil with her before she died so peacefully.

No comments: