Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Do not be depressed...



Today I read something written by one who was in the midst of a terrible depression. I have not had this suffering, but I can sympathize with all who do. When one is depressed, it seems impossible to think that this will end. But God's grace is there for all. 

Here is a quote from St. Peter Damian:
"Do not be depressed. Do not let you weakness make you impatient. Instead, let the serenity of your spirit shine through your face. Let the joy of your mind burst forth. Let words of thanks break from your lips."

That is easy to say, but the problem with depression is that one feels unable to do anything. I lived with a Religious once who was suffering from depression; I saw her a few years later when she was suffering terribly from cancer in her back. She told me that this suffering was nothing compared to the depression she had gone through when I knew her before. That made a big impression on me and led me to realize more what anyone in depression is going through. 

What worries me is the number of young people who now suffer from depression. They are faced with huge debts, cannot find a decent job even with their expensive college education, either cannot afford to get married, or they are struggling to support a wife and maybe even a family...how to give them hope that all will be well. Let us pray today for all who suffer from depression.

No comments: