Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Twenty-Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time



Again, I want to share the Sunday Collect so we really know what we are asking God for in the liturgy: "Almighty ever-living God, who in the abundance of your kindness surpass the merits and the desires of those who entreat you, pour out your mercy upon us to pardon what conscience dreads and to give what prayer does not dare to ask. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

The first reading is from the Book of Genesis and is the story of the creation of Eve. "The Lord God said: 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him.' "

After telling how Adam names all the animals and birds of the air, but none proved to be the suitable partner for the man, the "Lord God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. The Lord God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man. When he brought her to the man, the man said: 'This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called 'woman', for out of 'her man' this one has been taken.' That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one flesh."
I hope it was the Holy Spirit who inspired me to keep copying the first reading. I guess I am just thinking of how to talk to my senior about the respect that he must always have for women. The young people today seem to have lost some of the respect and reverence for each other that is necessary and right. I am, however, impressed with the respect my student shows and his sense of responsibility.

I went to the football game on Friday and Sacred Heart Prep is still undefeated this season. It was an exciting game and you could see how improved the team is now and how fast they are. The other team looked huge compared to our team, but when one of ours escaped with the football, no one on the other team could catch him. It was 29 to 0 at the half and we finished 38 to 14; this was the same school that beat us so badly last year so this victory must give us more confidence as we approach the selection for the finals.

No comments: