Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2018

Advent, a time of listening...


The picture is from the oldest national park in Canada and speaks to me of Christmas coming soon. We have had two lovely Christmas parties this week. The first was given by our third graders and all six of mine presented me with ornaments. Now, I need to decide if I can decorate my door with them or what as we have all of our trees (only six, I think, this year) decorated; perhaps I can put them in a bowl in Westwood as we are also planning a special afternoon gathering for the ten of us living over here. We are keeping Advent, but on the 19th will do some Christmas decorating.

Advent is a time of listening. We need to listen with the ears of the heart. We will not be in step, perhaps, with those around us. Henry David Thoreau had a famous answer for that: "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." Jesus did. And he is the best dance partner of all.

No comments: