Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle


Today is the Feast Of St. Thomas, the Apostle. We have Thomas to thank for his great exclamation, "My Lord and my God!" He was not with the others when Jesus came on that first Easter night. Why? We do not know, but he was told by the others, We have seen the Lord!" Thomas replies that he will not believe until he can see the marks of the nails in his hands and put his finger into the side of Jesus. A week later, even if the doors are still locked, Jesus appears in the midst of his friends and this time Thomas is there with them. Jesus tells him, "Put your finger here and see my hands and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe." And Thomas said, "My Lord and my God." Then Jesus said for us, "Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."
Lord, we believe, help our unbelief.
I am grateful every day for the gift of faith. However, when our faith is really alive, we see God in every instant of our lives; He is present so I pray for more faith to see this when I read the newspaper and listen to the news. Where is the positive in all that I read and hear? God is there but it takes faith to believe and find God in all things.

No comments: