Search This Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Chasing Joy

I am reading a little book by Edward Hays called Chasing Joy: Musings on life in a bittersweet world. Forest of Peace, 2007. Hays reminds us that St. Paul, in his very first letter written maybe as early as 25 years after the death and resurrection of Jesus, tells the Thessalonians to "rejoice always" and I guess the rest of the book is trying to show us how this is possible given the bad news we receive everyday from the media from all parts of our world. I think that we need to remember that Jesus gave us His joy and told us not to let our hearts be troubled. Joy is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit but sometimes we need to cultivate an attitude of joy in our daily comings and goings. I think the source of my joy is know that I am loved unconditionally by God. No matter what happens, I am sure of His love and that is what gives me an inner joy that no one can take from me.
Please pray for my mini-retreat and I will be back blogging as soon as I have access, but think I will be taking a three-day break.

No comments: