Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Desire and Joy

I know that desire and joy are both part of my spirituality, but I am not sure how to explain the connection. Isaiah said: "Seek the Lord that your soul may live." I say: "Seek the Lord with intense desire and you will find joy."

In the noviceship I remember thinking that "God is all and everything else is nothing" would allow me to live in His joy. I thought that it was going to be easy. Little did I know how often I would find myself seeking something less than God. But joy comes for me in this desire to find God in all and to be able to say with St. Paul that everything else counts for nothing. In Spanish, one translation has "basura" which is garbage and a strong image.

The Lord said to Julian of Norwich: "I am he who makes you to long; I am he, the endless fulfilling of all true desires." God places desire in our hearts and wants us to find him and live in his joy!

No comments: