Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peace


I am so happy that our president was given the Noble Peace Prize and I hope we can really now merit it. He is just beginning and we need to do so much to work for peace, but this is a sign of hope for all of us.
I was struck years ago by a thought in a retreat that peace begins with me and that we can only expect to give peace in proportion to the peace inside each of us. I think this was worded differently but the ideal is that the reign of God will come when it is firmly established in each of us.
I loved the line in today's Gospel that Jesus looked on the young man and loved him. Yet, because the young man was attached to all his possessions, the love Jesus had for him did not prevent him from going away sad.
Let us realize that the love Jesus has for each of us is powerful enough to take away all other desires and let us follow him with a whole heart. Then we will be at peace and be able to create peace around us.

No comments: