Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Behold the Lamb of God


This Sunday's Gospel has John the Baptist pointing out Jesus to two of his disciples. John calls Jesus, "The Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.' I did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel."
I am always struck by the humility of John the Baptist who lets his disciples follow Jesus. John saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven and remain upon Jesus. Then John said that he has testified that Jesus is the Son of God.
I think that Jesus only began to realize his mission at the moment of his baptism. Yet, God had revealed to John the Baptist that this was the Son of God, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. There is much here to reflect upon today.

No comments: