Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2017

God speaks in silence


In his book I Want To See God, Father Marie-Eugene de L'Enfant says:
God speaks in silence, and silence alone seems able to express Him. For the spiritual person who has known the touch of God, silence and God seem to be identified. And so, to find God again, where would he go, if not to the most silent depths  of his soul, into those regions that are so hidden that nothing can any longer disturb them:
When he has reached there, he preserves with jealous care the silence that gives him God. He defends it against any agitation, even that of his own powers."

I think we have had the experience of finding God when we have reached this deep, interior silence. It is a grace to thank for and to strive for, but it is always God's gift that allows us to create silence.
My Holy Week was one of long stretches of silence and it was such a blessing. I guess I hid out in my room most of Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday, emerging only for the Holy Week prayer times and for meals and finding that the silence deepened in me each day as I just sat and just looked at the framed quote on my shelf that is "Be still and know that I am God." It was a very good Holy Week and led me to the joy of the Lord on Easter Sunday.

No comments: