Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2017

Breathe on me, O Breath of God


Here is a bit of a song that makes a very good prayer. The text is by Edwin Hatch who died in 1889 but his work has lived on after him.

"O breathe on me, Thou breath of God,
fill me with life anew; that I may love what you would love
and do what you would do."

It is short and easy to say as one walks around during the day.

A few years ago, my sister took me to Ireland to visit our relatives there. We also spent some time in our community at Mount Anville. One of the Sisters there, Sister Madeleine Sophie, taught us a grace before meals. Now that I am taking back the custom of asking for the Lord's blessing before eating and thanking Him afterwards (and secretly hoping to get all my sisters here to do the same), I will pass this very Irish grace along to you.

"Lord, bless the food, the cook, and the dishes
As you blessed the loaves and fishes;
And as the sugar in the tea, let us be stirred by Thee."

No comments: