Search This Blog

Thursday, June 29, 2017

"We Walk the Path Together"





This picture was taken at Rockaway Beach on June 18th



It has been a while since I have suggested a good spiritual book. I seem to have less time for reading new books since I have come to Oakwood. I do quite a bit of spiritual reading, but have gone back to old favorites as I have not been able to get excited about most of the new books I have read lately. I did buy a book written by the priest who gave the contemplative retreat at Villa Maria del Mar that I made this month. Father Brian Pierce has written three books. His latest is Jesus and the Prodigal Son: The God of Radical Mercy (Orbis Books, 2016). I looked at it but decided to buy a book written in 2005 called We Walk the Path Together: Learning from Thich Nhat Hanh and Meister Eckhart.
I am only about halfway through the book, love the title and the picture on the cover of a path along side of a river with lots of trees. Now, you will know that Oakwood must be changing me if I am partly buying a book because I like the cover! The fact is that this Dominican priest is a contemplative that sees God in us and in all. It is a book to pray over. I think it is a book I will go back to read later as I have the desire to mark it up. There are ten chapters and I have just finished Chapter 4: The Water and the Waves. The next chapter is "Jesus and God "Coming Home".
I loved the second chapter on
" Mindfulness and the Eternal Now"; the next was on "The Breath of the Holy Spirit". The very first chapter was on "Magnanimity: Learning the Art of Dialogue. It is a different book and one that I need to read slowly.

No comments: