Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Eve of the Feast of the Presentation of Mary



The Society of the Sacred Heart used to have a tradition in the Primary School of choosing a child to represent the little Mary being presented at the temple. I never enacted this when I was head of the primary school, but know it used to be done. 
Since the Feast of the Presentation is also the birthday of the Society of the Sacred Heart, November 21, 1800, it was always celebrated as a feast day. After my first vows, I found that the young nuns who had not made final profession prepared for this feast by a three-day semi-retreat (we were always so busy during the day that an evening talk was usually the extent of the retreat and often it was given by the superior of the house just for the young nuns.) I really do not remember much about those years before final profession. I was with the young boarders day and night. However, I always like the idea of the birthday of the Society on a feast of Mary and we do celebrate our 219 years of existence! We are in 42 or 43 countries now and I love knowing that we are working and praying in so many countries and different time zones!

No comments: