Search This Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2019

The Joy of the Trinity

The second characteristic of the Blessed Trinity given by Darrell Johnson in his book, Experiencing the Trinity, is joy. I guess there has to be joy as they love one another so completely and perfectly.
The Father finds joy in the Son, the Son finds joy in the Father and both are full of joy in the Spirit and the Spirit rejoices in both the Father and the Son. Their joy is complete.

Now, the wonderful thing is that we are called to share in the joy of the Trinity.  I guess I need to reflect more on how I do this. One quote that comes to mind is John 15:11--"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete."

Remember the hymn that we often sing in parishes?
"Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee,
God of glory, Lord of love.
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee,
opening to the sun above.

Melt the clouds of sin and sadness,
Drive the dark of doubt away.
Giving of immortal gladness,
Fill us with the light of day....
All Thy work with joy surround Thee...
Lift us to the Joy divine."

I can still hear my Dad singing that next to me in the pew. 

No comments: