Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2020

"I am the resurrection and the life...


In yesterday's Gospel (John 11:1-45), Jesus learns that Lazarus is ill, but Jesus waits two days before saying to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea." 
When Jesus arrived, Lazarus had been in the tomb four days. Martha went to meet Jesus, but Mary sat at home. Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you."
Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise."
Martha said to him, "I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day."
Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me, will never die. Do you believe this?
She said to him, "Yes, Lord, I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who is coming into the world."
When she had said this, she went and called her sister Mary secretly, saying, "The teacher is here and is asking for you." 
As soon as Mary heard this, she rose quickly and went to him.

I will continue with this Gospel tomorrow as it has so much for us to reflect on - I marvel at the faith of Martha and how Jesus leads her to profess her faith in him.

No comments: