Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

A Tree planted by the waterside

 Today we will look to Psalm 1 - the very first Psalm in the Book of Psalms. It was probably a late addition, but makes for a good introduction with its emphasis on the keeping of the law.

Blessed are they who have not walked in the counsel of the wicked, nor lingered in the way of sinners, nor sat in the assembly of the scornful.

Their delight is in the law of the Lord and they meditate on his law day and night.

Like a tree planted by streams of water bearing fruit in due season, with leaves that do not wither, whatever they do, it shall prosper.

As for the wicked, it is not so with them; they are like chaff which the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked shall not be able to stand in the judgment, nor the sinner in the congregation of the righteous.

For the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked shall perish."


I am missing the operetta, Hansel and Gretel, shown this morning as I choose to work in the morning hours. However, as I copied this Psalm, I was aware of speaking of the wicked  in four of the six verses. It reminded me of the "wicked witch" both in the story of Hansel and Gretel and in the Wizard of Oz.

My Dad loved to tell the story of how they took me to the Muny Opera in St. Louis when I was five. We had box seats and when the witch began to follow Hansel and Gretel, I cried out: 'Watch out!" My father said that at intermission their box was the center of attention as so many came to see the child who was so caught up in the drama that she called out a warning to the children.


No comments: