Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2020

Sometimes a Picture says more than Words

It is a gift to be known and loved by God!

A good friend let me know that the author of yesterday's poem is Langston Hughes.


 When I want to talk about a favorite Psalm, as I really am using the book, Life in the Psalms: Contemporary Meaning in Ancient Texts by Patrick Woodhouse, I sometimes feel I need to find a picture that makes what I feel evident. This is not always easy to do, but I hope that whatever picture I do put at the bottom of my blog is a help for your own personal reflection - or imagine your own scene....

Today I begin with one of my very favorite Psalms which meant so much to me in my first directed retreat that I always suggest Psalm 139 to my retreatants - or I think I have done this almost always...

Today, I want to look at just the first five verses of the Psalm that Woodhouse describes as "intimacy with the mystery of God". These first verses really explore the experience of being fully known by God.

"O Lord, you have searched me out and known me;

you know my sitting down and my rising up;

you discern my thoughts from afar,

You mark out my journeys and my resting place

and are acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word on my tongue,

but you, O Lord, know it altogether.

You encompass me behind and before

and lay your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,

so high that I cannot attain it."



No comments: