Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2020

St. John of the Cross


 Today's Liturgy asks that we, by imitating John of the Cross closely at all times, may come to contemplate eternally the glory of God. Now, I love John of the Cross, so I went back to some of the verses of his poems that really have spoken to me in the past. Here is a bit from "The Dark Night":

"One dark night, fired with love's urgent longings

-Ah, the sheer grace!- I went our unseen, my house being now all stilled...

With no other light or guide that the one that burned in my heart;

This guided me more surely than the light of noon

To where He waited for me - Him I knew so well-

In a place where no one else appeared.

O guiding night! O night more lovely than the dawn! O night that has united

The Lover with His beloved, Transforming the beloved in her Lover...."

No comments: