Search This Blog

Friday, March 20, 2009

Halfway to Easter - Let us pray with Jesus




"I am the Lord your God: hear my voice." This is the response today for the Psalm verses from Psalm 81. "If only my people would hear me, and Israel walk in my ways.." The Lord is always asking us to hear his voice. Do we want to? Or am I afraid of what God may be saying to me?

In today's Gospel (Mark 12:28-34) Jesus replies to the scribe who asked him which is the greatest of all the commandments by quoting from Deuteronomy. It is part of the prayer called the Shema that is said by the Jewish people even today. Jesus would have learned this prayer as a child and speaks these words from the depths of his heart. "Hear, O Israel. The Lord our God is Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."
Want to pray a prayer Jesus said every day? Pray this one.

Then Jesus adds that the second greatest commandment is "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Today is the halfway mark between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Let us hurry to make this Lent a special time with the Lord.

No comments: