Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter Thursday


The Gospel today is from Luke 24:35-48. While the two disciples are still talking about their Easter experience on the road to Emmaus and how they finally recognized Jesus in the breaking of the bread, Jesus came and stood in their midst. He said to them, "Peace be with you." But "they were startled and terrified and thought that they were seeing a ghost."
I guess that they had not yet taken in the fact that Jesus was really alive. They also knew that they had abandoned him and fled when he was arrested. But now, Jesus offers peace. He said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have." Jesus showed them his hands and his feet. Then their fear changed to joy and they are "incredulous for joy and were amazed."

In my own life, there are times when I and you have had a deep experience of the living Jesus. Let us recall those times and relive the joy we felt when Jesus touched us in some way. I think the joy we have felt helps us to enter now into his Easter joy.

No comments: