Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

Letters from Scotland



No, I am not in Scotland but will be leaving tomorrow for the Western part of the United States for a period of almost three weeks. While I am gone, I am going to schedule a few letters from a dear friend and former student in Scotland for your reflection; then, I have something from another student on Thomas Merton to share, and I want to start sharing with you some of the early days of the Society of the Sacred Heart when St. Madeleine Sophie kept a Journal while in Poitiers forming the novices as well as being superior of the house and Mother General. She was only 26 and it is the only Journal we have of hers and therefore very precious for all those connected with the Society of the Sacred Heart.
I want to share some excerpts for you from the fourth chapter of my dissertation which was on the Spirituality of St. Madeleine Sophie. Her Feast is May 25 and so it is fitting that we go back to her written word to prepare for her Feast. I may be putting in a few other things, too, but want you to know that some of these reflections will be a bit different, especially since I need to schedule ahead so you will have them to read while I am away. I think I have written over 700 reflections now and it is time experiment a bit with contributions of others.

Today you might like to reflect on these words of Christ to St. Faustina Kowalska:
"I am Love and Mercy itself. There is no misery that could be a match for my mercy; neither will misery exhaust it, because as it is being granted, it increases. The soul that trusts in my mercy is most fortunate, because I myself take care of it."

No comments: