Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday


The Preface for today, Palm Sunday, reminds us that "the days of his life-giving death and glorious resurrection are approaching. This is the hour when he triumphed over Satan's pride, the time when we celebrate the great event of our redemption."

The first reading is from the Prophet Isaiah (50:4-7) and one worth reflecting on as we begin Holy Week: "The Lord God has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them. Morning after mourning he opens my ear that I may hear; and I have not rebelled, have not turned back. I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.
The Lord God is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame."


The Lord God is my help, too. It is in my morning prayer that he opens my ear that I may hear. I wish I could say that I have not turned back, but the important thing is to keep trying to follow Jesus and know that he gives us the strength for whatever he may ask.

What scene from Mark's Passion calls me to pray over as Holy Week begins?

No comments: