Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary


This feast of Our Lady gives me great joy. I have joy for her as she is now with her Son, Jesus; I have joy for Jesus because he now has his Mother with him in heaven; I have joy for the entire Communion of Saints. Mary is still so present to each one of us and she takes seriously her role as our Mother.

The Gospel (Luke 1:39-56) has Mary going to visit Elizabeth. When Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, cries out to Mary:
"Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb..." - something we say with each "Hail Mary" - Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior..." I love the fact that Mary, too, was filled with joy and now, she is rejoicing for all eternity and still goes about making others happy, comforting, and consoling. I am sure she is still telling Jesus what we lack and then saying to us, "Do whatsoever he tells you."

In some countries gifts are brought to Mary on this feast: the fruits of the harvest, the key to the house, and whatever they want to offer. We offer ourselves to her guidance and protection. She is truly our Mother and loves each of us with a strong maternal love. Let us show our love for her today.

No comments: