Search This Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Transfiguration of the Lord



This Sunday we celebrate the Feast of the Transfiguration. It is also, according to the Entrance Antiphon, a Trinitarian feast:
"In a resplendent cloud the Holy Spirit appeared. The Father's voice was heard: This is my Beloved Son with whom I am well pleased. Listen to him."

Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There, Jesus was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. Moses and Elijah appeared and conversed with Jesus. Peter wanted to stay there and offered to make three tents, but "while he was still speaking, behold a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.'" The disciples fell prostrate and were afraid, but Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Rise, and do not be afraid."
And looking up, they saw no one but Jesus.

I think God the Father is still saying to us: "Listen to my beloved Son." Am I taking the time to reflect on my life in order to listen to what Jesus is saying to me? What is the quality of my listening? Jesus speaks through the inspirations of the Holy Spirit but also through others; am I listening to him? Is Jesus speaking to me through an event? A death?
And I know He always says to me, "Do not be afraid!"

No comments: