Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Never too late to begin!



One of our Sisters who is 98 or 99 years old now fell and broke her ankle. She is home from the hospital and has a new Kindle and wants me to show her how to use it. We are still struggling to get into her Amazon account to register it. I hope I can help her as she loves to read and this new Kindle is lightweight. I mostly read on my I-pad now but still love my old Kindle. It is so amazing that we can carry a library around with us. I use the Bible on my I-pad every day and I can highlight and save favorite passages, go quickly back and forth to consult passages that refer to other books in the Bible, etc.
I have been reading real books, too. The spiritual book that I have mentioned before and which I am still reading is  We Walk the Path Together: Learning from Thich Nhat Hanh and Meister Eckart. It is by Brian J. Pierce, OP, the priest who gave the retreat I made at the beginning of June. There is a great deal of helpful hints for living in the present and practicing mindfulness. I only read a bit at a time as there is much to think about on every page.
I do think reading Scripture daily is important and hope that my readers will find time for this. I must confess that I was told some years ago to read at least ten minutes from the New Testament and ten minutes from the Old Testament each day. I wish I had heeded that advice, but now I do have the time and still neglect this daily reading. It is never too late to begin.

No comments: