Search This Blog

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Childlike wonder




I love this picture and imagine the children in the family made the snowman when they woke up to the wonder of a winter fairyland.
 I have a quote from "The Sense of Wonder" by Rachel Carson. It might make for a fruitful reflection today.

"If I had influence with the good angel who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I should ask that her gift to each child in the world would be a sense of wonder so indestructible that it would last throughout life as an unfailing antidote against boredom and disenchantments of later years, the sterile preoccupation with things that are artificial, the alienation from the sources of our strength."

Today we have the funeral of Sister Madeleine Desloge; she was 101 and I had the privilege of being with her when she died. She never lost her sense of wonder. She took joy in so many things that we often take for granted. I imagine her roaming around in heaven full of childlike wonder. Her favorite expression during these past months when she found it hard to talk, was "Oh boy!" I suspect she is still exclaiming "Oh boy!"

No comments: