Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time


 Today's Collect asks the Lord to increase the gifts of grace so that made fervent in hope, faith, and charity, we may be ever watchful in keeping the Lord's commands.

The first reading is from Jeremiah 23:1-6 and talks about the shepherds who do not take good care of the sheep. The Lord says, "I mself will gather the remnant of my floce from all the lands to which I have driven them and bring them back to their meadow; there they shall increase and multipl. I will appoint shepherds for them who will shepherd them so that they need no longer fear and tremble; and now shall be missing, says the Lord." There is still more but I will stop there.

The Responsorial Psalm is: "The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want." 

I love Psalm 23 and love the idea that the Lord leads us besides restful waters....

The second reading is from the Letter of Paul to the Ephesians 2:13-18

Paul tells us that Christ is our peace and that He came to preach peace to all.

The Gospel is Mark 6:30-34 

The apostles gathered with Jesus and reported all that they had done and taught. Then Jesus said to them: "Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." They went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place. However, people saw them leaving and hastened there even before them so that when they disembarked there was a vast crowd. The Gospel tells us that Jesus was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd and he began to teach them many things.

I love thinking of Jesus as my Good Shepherd who seeks me out and leads me to restful waters.

I have thought of July as a vacation month at least in the sense that I am not writing my blog daily. I still feel the need to write less during this time. It gives me more time to read. 

No comments: