Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Gratitude


Jesus, in today's Gospel, met ten lepers who called out to him: "Jesus, Master! Have pity on us!"
Jesus tells them to go show themselves to the priests. Their faith led them to obey and "as they were going they were cleansed."
How did they feel? Nine continued on but one was so overcome by the realization that he had been healed that he returned "glorifying God in a loud voice; and he fell at the feet of Jesus and thanked him."
He was a Samaritan, a "foreigner", who was so grateful that he went back to thank Jesus.
Jesus asks three questions that are still valid for us today. "Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine? Has none but this foreigner returned to give thanks to God?"
Am I among the nine who do not return to glorify God by my gratitude? Do I take all the gifts of God for granted each day? Or do I return to fall at the feet of Jesus and give thanks for the many gifts I receive each day?
Lord, help me to form the habit of thanking You for your continuous gifting, healing, and, above all, let me be grateful that I am so loved! Then Jesus will say again:
"Your faith has saved you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Helen for the reminder. If one reads the whole Psalm for today, it also reminds you to praise God for the creation of tth earth-it refers to the mountains and the sea and the rivers all praising God. After reading your blog and going to today's readings I thought it was most apt! The Holy SPirit works in wondrous ways!
CAthy