Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Inner Compass


In her book, Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality, Margaret Silf has us imagine three concentric circles. The outermost ring is the "Where" circle and represents all that I cannot change in my life - my family, genetic make-up, geography, culture, education, up-bringing, etc.

The second circle is the "How" circle. Here I exercise choice. Every choice goes toward making me how I am. Choices turn into habits, and habits become character.
My choices go beyond me and influence all I contact. Silf says that "my choices for the truth make the world more truthful. My betrayals of my own integrity undermine the integrity of all."

Into the third circle, the circle of "Who", only a few really move as this is dangerous ground. This is where I see who I really am --"I will move closer to God who dwells in my heart, and the encounter will challenge me in ways I cannot predict."

Am I willing to take the risk and make this inner journey?

No comments: