Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2007

October 15- Ecology theme day for over 5,000 Blogs


Today is a worldwide effort to take action to save our planet. Ecological concern is universal and we need to think of what we can do in our own environment to care for our planet.

It is also the Feast of St.Teresa of Avila who lived in the 16th century and had to travel in a cart often as she went from town to town making foundations in Spain for the Reformed Carmelites. She is also a doctor of the Church. I would write more about her, but I am cooperating with about 5,000 blogs today to bring us to an awareness of our great responsibility for our planet. Our whole universe is interdependent, interacting, and this means that we need to care for everything in it. I thought it would be a good day to reflect again on St. Francis of Assisi"s "Cantico of the Creatures":

So, praised be You, My Lord, with all your creatures,
Especially Sir Brother Sun, who makes the day and enlightens us through You.
He is lovely and radiant and grand;
And he heralds You, his most High Lord.

Praised by You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and Stars.
You have hung them in heaven, shining and precious and fair.

And praise be You, my Lord, through Brother Wind.
In air and cloud, calm and every weather
Through him You sustain Your creatures.

Praise be You, my Lord, through Sister Water.
So very useful, humble, precious, and chaste.

Yes, and praise to You, my Lord, through Brother Fire.
Through whom You illumine our night,
And he is handsome and merry, robust, strong.

Praised be You, my Lord, through our Sister, Mother Earth.
She who nourishes us and teaches us,
Bringing forth all kinds of fruits and colored flowers and herbs.

Praise to You , my Lord, for...


If we learn to praise for all the creatures, we will have environmental concern for every creature! (You can continue to write your own stanzas as I left the Cantico unfinished for this reason.

No comments: