Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Good Shepherd Sunday



I love the image of the Good Shepherd. Jesus is our shepherd and we can say with the psalmist: "The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want."
The verse before the Gospel is "I am the Good Shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me." He calls us each by name and he walks ahead of us and we follow him, because we recognize his voice.
The Gospel ends with one of the most tremendous truths told us by Jesus: "I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly."

Peter in the second reading for today tells us, "By his wounds you have been healed. For you had gone astray like sheep, but you have now returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls." We are like the black sheep above that has been sought and found and carried by the Lord. We return because he has the words of life and has come so that we may "have life and have it more abundantly."

No comments: