Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Live the Questions Now


There is a new booklet published by the Leadership Conference of Women Religious called Live the Questions Now that has a reflection for each day beginning on my birthday, May 31, which is also the Feast of the Visitation. The reflections are written by different women religious in leadership today. What I want to share with you are some of the quotations as each reflection has a quote from a well-known writer and then a very short, often one line from Scripture. I think the quotes are worth sharing with you so here is the first from Rainer Maria Rilke:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves...Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given to you because you will not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now."

The scripture line is from 1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient.

This is the week we are singing double alleluias and the miracle of my hearing the homily happened again on Easter Monday. It was the same Pastor and he gave a very short and to the point homily, the kind I can remember. He told us that we are people of the Resurrection; we know we are loved by God and we go forth to give the Good News with joy!

I am caught up in the idea of the Cosmic Christ in whom we "live and move and have our being." I love the idea that everything I do is helping to build up the body of Christ and raise the level of love in the world - at least if I am acting out of love. Anyway, let us live the questions and know that theology today is based a great deal on our experience of God as well as Scripture and Tradition.

2 comments:

Silvana rscj said...

What a lovely quote from Rilke - and one I need to hear, as patience isn't one of my strong points! Thank you for sharing riches from this booklet with us

Helen said...

Thank you for the feedback!
Love and prayer, Helen