Search This Blog

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Feast of St. Madeleine Sophie

Every foundress becomes a mother to her many daughters and watches over each with love. I firmly believe that. I have had at least two exceptional experiences of St. Madeleine Sophie that I am willing to share today. When I first was sent to Chile, without knowing any Spanish, I had a dream and Sophie came to me and we talked. I felt that she gave me spiritual direction in the dream and left me with great peace and joy even if I do not remember what she said to me. I felt her love, her interest, her closeness and this has stayed with me all these years.
The next experience was at Jette where I sat next to the body of our Saintly Mother and had a dialogue with her. She was so present and looked so calm and alive as she spoke with me. It was a real grace and I am sure she arranged it; the day I went to visit, no one else was in the Chapel. I just pulled up a little chair and sat next to Sophie and we talked. I had often had "Little Words", as we used to call it, with her, but this was very special. Then I went to Rome and read all of her letters in chronological order while doing my dissertation research on her spirituality. I have much to thank her for in my life.
Here is a quote to reflect on today:
“The Holy Spirit looks for a heart totally free of selfishness in order to take possession of it.
When the Spirit finds such openness, she pours herself out plentifully and rewards the person with boundless love.”

No comments: