Search This Blog

Friday, May 10, 2013

Trust is a gift...

Sometimes I find a picture in my files that I have no idea why I filed it under a name - this is obviously a path and I was thinking of how often the path of our spirituality is shaped by something as simple as a theme song. When I was only 23 years old, I was head of the Primary School at Clifton in Cincinnati and taught the First Grade. We had a theme song for the year for the entire school. It was really three invocations but we sang them, we believed, and it certainly influenced my own spirituality. Here is the song:
"Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee; Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I believe in Thy love for me; Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, may your Kingdom come!"
During the first months we concentrated on placing our trust in Jesus. He never failed us. That complete trust worked miracles. Here is an example: Clifton was at the top of a long hill. After a deep snowfall, I took the young boarders out sledding after school. When we came in and the children had struggled out of their wet snowsuits, one child who had a diamond ring that she was not supposed to wear at school, cried out that her ring was gone; she had lost it in the snow somewhere on the front hill. The children immediately began to say, "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee" and rushed to don the still soaking snowsuits and boots to go look. We had little time and it was also getting dark but they trooped out repeating over and over "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee." Within a few minutes one of the children found the ring buried in the deep snow!

No comments: