Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thoughts on Prayer

Prayer is the expression of our relationship with God, especially with Jesus and Mary and the saints. Because we are unique, our relationship is also unique. There is no one way to pray. I firmly believe that the best way to pray is the way you pray best. You pray as you can, not as you can't. I love this from Thomas Merton: "How does an apple ripen? It just sits in the sun."
I do believe that prayer changes as we change. I do not think and act the same way I did as a child so why would my prayer not change, too? That does not mean that the prayers I said as a child are less valuable, but maybe it is more like a married couple who simplify their conversation as each knows what the other is thinking just by looking at each other and words are not needed. That seems to happen to many with Jesus. He does not need our words but only our presence. And do remember that it is always an amazing grace that Jesus chooses to be with each of us, to sit with us when we pray.

No comments: