Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time



My friend, Patrick, leaves today. It has been a wonderful week with the days of retreat at Villa Maria del Mar. I will share more of the retreat tomorrow, but want to say a word about the Sunday Gospel which is John 6:24-35
The Gospel has the people looking for Jesus. WE are all also looking for Jesus. But Jesus says to them and to us: "Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled. Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God has set his seal."
Then, Jesus will also answer their question about what they are to do to accomplish the works of God. He told them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent."
The people then want a sign. Finally, Jesus says:"I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst."

Let us go to Jesus today and profess our faith in him!

No comments: