Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time




Today's Gospel begins with Jesus telling the crowds: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."

The Jews cannot understand again so Jesus tells them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you." 

And then Jesus makes this wonderful promise that we will have eternal life and be raised on the last day if we eat his flesh and drink his blood and "whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him....whoever eats this bread will live forever."  
Much to reflect on in this Gospel. And the responsorial psalm is "Taste and see the goodness of the Lord" and then Ps 34, 2-7.

No comments: