Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

I am the good shepherd...

Yesterday's Gospel (John 10:11-18) begins with Jesus telling us: 
"I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep...." and then later Jesus says again, "I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd....."
The entire Gospel passage is powerful and needs reflection. 
What does it mean for me today? Jesus was never a shepherd, but used this familiar image to show His love and care for each of us. Remember Jesus gave the example of a shepherd leaving the 99 and going after the one lost sheep. We need to feel confident that Jesus is taking care of each of us. 

No comments: