Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Palm Sunday

Every reading in today's Palm Sunday liturgy speaks powerfully to me.
Today, the people shout, "Blessed in the king who comes in the name of the Lord."
Five days later the people will shout, "Crucify him, crucify him."

The first reading is one of the Suffering Servant passages from Isaiah 53:
Morning after morning
he opened my ear
and I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
The refrain for the responsorial psalm is "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"
Paul's letter to the Philippians tells us how Jesus "humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."
Luke's Gospel gives a full account of the Passion. Jesus is betrayed by Judas; Peter denies three times that he even knew Jesus; the crowd prefer Barabbas, a murderer to Jesus. Yet, Jesus can pray for those nailing him to the cross: "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do."
The Heart of Jesus will be pierced with a lance, but he is already pierced by our betrayals, denials, lack of love. Love is not loved!

No comments: